Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018

It's Thanksgiving 2018. I have some things to be thankful for...

First of all, I've been able to do waaay more physical activity, especially compared to last Thanksgiving. In fact, last year, I still felt sick on pretty much a constant basis. At least now I don't really feel sick anymore, even though I still have a lot more recovery to do. I'm walking around feeling pretty good.

In the upcoming months, I want to try integrating some light jogging into my walks. I figure I'll walk around the block like I usually do, only (at first) add about five seconds of jogging into the walk, maybe from one telephone pole to the next. If that goes ok, I'll add another five seconds. And then another. Once I'm comfortable with three sets of five-second jogging, I'll probably stick with that for a while before I build up to more. The key is to get my body used to jogging again: my muscles, my lungs, my stamina, etc.

As I write this, I'm reminded of the Bruce Lee story DRAGON. It's a biopic movie that I watched when I first got sick in July 2017. Bruce's back gets broken in a fight that takes place halfway through the movie. Bruce thinks he'll never fight or even walk again. He's practically paralyzed. After a pep-talk from his wife, he takes the recovery one small step at a time and he's able to overcome the seemingly impossible. Am I comparing myself to Bruce Lee right now? Maybe.




I guess what I'm wondering is...can I pull this off? I mean, is my full recovery in my own hands? 

If I wisely take the necessary steps, I do think I can get to where I want to be, back to my former self -- well, not just who I was -- but an even better version of that person. It's not going to happen tomorrow. It will take much more work and persistence and, yes, a lot of divine guidance as well. But it's also going to take method, like I'm my own physical trainer. There is a calculated, step-by-step process to this recovery, kind of like I'm an architect and I'm plotting every single detail of reconstructing a building that was destroyed by an earthquake or hurricane. I can't just wave a magic wand and wa-lah, I have a new and improved body. I must be patient and methodical with the reconstruction of myself. If I do this, I can win. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment